Monday, April 20, 2015

Gelli Printing Paper-Quilt Class


I love Gelli-printing. Once you start, you can't stop. I decided to share my love of it at one of my art classes. I of course, wanted to show my students how to do this. But I also needed a project to go with the lesson. I used many of prints in my art journals as backgrounds, but I needed an idea where Gelli-prints would be the star of the show. 

NOTE: If Gelli-printing is unfamiliar to you, check out my Pinterest board here, and the Gelli Arts website here

I saw a paper quilt using scrapbooking paper on Pinterest, which led me HERE. Adorable.

I got an idea. 

Why not use my HUGE pile of Gelli-prints instead of scrapbooking paper?!? I got right to work.:) I tried to pick Gelli-prints that had one side contrasting well with the other side, so that the "petal" stood out from the center.

I punched out circles from my latest prints using a 2" circle punch. I arranged these various circles in an empty spot in my Dylusions DLP journal. (I've missed a few challenges, so instead of thinking I have to do a challenge that doesn't speak to me, I decided to just fill it up with something else. )

Then my sister came over. So she helped me. I value that. She sees things I don't. Actually, she had used this quilting pattern to make a real quilt a year or two ago. 


Instead of me explaining how I folded them, I'll post a link that describes it perfectly. (Using slightly different measurements, as I used 2" circles, not 2.5 inch circles. If you look at the detailed shots in the link, you should get an idea of how large the inside square should be no matter what size circles you go with.) I only discovered this article this morning AFTER I had made my own. Here's the how-to: http://www.scrapbookandcards.com/cathedral-window-quilting


Once I had punched out enough circles, I arranged them in a pleasing way. For me, it's usually in a visual triangle. I glued them down with an UHU glue stick. 


Next, I added black Stabilo All pencil to the edges. A close-up here:


Next, I added hearts with the Stabilo, and a bit of transparent flourescent pink craft paint to the right hand side of the hearts.



Next, I added some white doodles to some of the petals and some of the centers with a Bic White-out marker. 

And I'm done! It was so fun!! 

I created this page in little spurts/breaks throughout the day. I rarely sit down and finish a project from start to finish, as my schedule and lifestyle just doesn't work like that. I hope you can make art fit in YOUR life. Even just 15 minutes a day is all you need!

Now here are some photos from my Artful Stories With Anna class where they made their own paper quilts.







Aren't they great? :) 

Happy creating to you! 

Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment